Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination with burning sensation, itching in the anus. UTI or worm infestation?

Question
Hello, I want to know what I can take for a constant need to pee and an itchy anus at times. When I do get to pee, its short and it burns a little bit. I thought it was a cranberry pills are not working after a week. Could it be a bacterial infection? or worms? The symptoms come and go, they are not constant.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 37 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Given your history, it is possible that you are suffering from a urinary tract infection. Most urinary tract infections are bacterial in nature. They are almost never due to worm infestations. Cranberry pills/juice only augments the treatment for UTI and is not a substitute to the antibiotics

You need to consult a physician who can administer antibiotics and also run some tests like
•     Urine routine to note pus cells in urine
•     Urine culture and sensitivity to know which bacteria is growing and which antibiotic is it most sensitive to it.
•     Complete blood count to get an overall picture of the severity.

The most commonly used antibiotics for UTI include fluoroquinolones like ciprofloxacin. However, these are prescription drugs which can be obtained only after you have consulted your physician.

You can also use the following advice
1. Drink plenty of water
2. Continue taking cranberry juice/pills

Now, coming to your second problem; it is unlikely to be related to the urinary problem. Most of the times, an itchy anus is due to a small fissure ano causing local irritation or due to worm infestation.

If you are having difficulty is passing motion and you pass hard stools, then most likely it is a fissure which is causing your problem but if your motions are fine then we cannot rule out a worm infestation.
XXXXXXX your family physician for a quick examination and administration of albendazole tablet which is commonly used as a single drug for de worming

If he finds a fissure, then he might give you a lactulose syrup and lignocaine jelly to overcome the irritation
I am hoping I have solved all your queries. Please write back to me if you have doubts.

Have a speedy recovery