Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination, loss of appetite, cramps in lower back. Urine test shows positive leukocytes, negative nitrites. What does this mean?

Oncologist
Question
I took an at home urine test that showed positive for leukocytes and negative for nitrites. My urine has been very clear most of the time the past couple days. I do drink a lot of water (about 4 bottles yesterday). And I generally go to the bathroom once every one to two hours, depending on how much I drank recently. I have noticed an intermittently decreased appetite over the past month. Also, my lower to mid back has felt kind of crampy the last couple days. My last period began November 2.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 51 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the information which you submitted. I really do not think that you have any type of water on a daily basis explains the frequency with which you have been urinating.

The pain in your back is most likely musculoskeletal in nature. This is usually due to sore muscles or a mild degree of arthritis in the low back. I would suggest that you do some stretching exercises for this. If you are curious as to how to do this I would recommend that you use the Internet and search for physical therapy exercises for low back strengthening.

Regarding the leukocytes or white blood cells which were found in the urine test. This is not uncommon. The fact that the nitrite test was negative is very reassuring but this is not a true infection. I would recommend however that if your symptoms continue and your back pain does not resolve any reasonable period of time you might benefit from a urine test with urine culture. This will allow the laboratory to evaluate to see if there's any bacteria in the urinary tract which could be contributing to your symptoms.

I thank you very much for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert