Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination, irritable bladder. Could it be bladder cancer?

Hi, for the past 8 weeks I have needed to urinate frequently. Some days I can go hours and others 4 times an hour, almost like I need to go as soon as I've been. My gp has checked a water sample and was normal and she thinks could be irritable bladder. I'm worried about bladder cancer.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later

Having carcinoma bladder at this age is pretty unusual.

I would like to know whether you smoke or not?

Once the doubt has come to your mind, I will advise you to get your Ultrasound KUB(kidney,urinary bladder) and urine cytology examination done.

The possibilty of overactive bladder is much higher and taking any anticholinergics such as toleterodine shall help after consulting your physician..

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Frequent urination, irritable bladder. Could it be bladder cancer? 2 hours later
Ultrasound was clear, and they are reluctant to refer as due to my age they say that it is unlikely to be anything serious. I'm not panicking, just find it frustrating going so much. Can overactive irritable bladder cause u to want to go all the time? Is she right about bladder cancer being virtually nil in under 40?
Follow-up: Frequent urination, irritable bladder. Could it be bladder cancer? 5 minutes later
Sorry, I am a non smoker
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later

Your doctor is telling you the right thing.

Your chances of having bladder cancer are virtually nil especially considering the fact that you are non smoker.

And yes, overactive bladder can cause the urge to go to the restroom all the time.