Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination in winter. Why can't he have a hold on it? What can be done to avoid wetting?

My father(66years old) is having a frequent urine problem only in winters.Sometimes he doesn't have a hold on his urine.In summer this problem doesn't occur.This problem is continuing since last two years.Kindly guide what to do.Thank you.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Your father’s symptoms are suggestive of benign hyperplasia of prostate gland (BPH). This is a condition most commonly seen after 50 years of age and occurs due to an increase in the size of the prostate gland. Although BPH is not a seasonal disorder the symptoms of these can be seen more in the winter. BPH can cause constriction of urethra and severe urinary problems too.

Cold weather stimulates the sympathetic nerves( a type of nerves supplying this part) and strengthens muscle contraction of the prostate; this further constricts the urethra and brings on some of the symptoms. This is not so in summer season.

Certain tests like Digital urine flowmetry, Urodynamic tests and Trans rectal ultrasound will help detect this. He will need to be examined by an Urologist for this. Further management can be in the form of drugs or surgery depending upon the symptoms and the results of the investigations.

Hope I have answered your query. Please close this discussion and rate my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.