Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination, burning, urinary urgency, pressure, stone in bladder, lithotripsy, prostate meds

after a bowel movement, I feel the urge to urinate, frequently, very small amounts, also a burning after every urination. I can not stop the urge and frequently have accidents.when I sit, I feel a pressure in the prostate area along with the urge to urinate,I am on prostate meds, but when this problem occurs, they seem to do me no good. I have just had lipotripsy for a golf ball size stone in my bladder in February.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 40 minutes later

Your urinary complaints, prostate problem (probably Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia - BPH) and recent history of lithotripsy are all inter-related in causing you the symptoms which in my opinion is Recurrent UTI.

Let me explain.

1. BPH causes retention of urine. When urine stays in the bladder for a long time it invariably gets infected.
2. As you have recently undergone lithotripsy, studies have shown that UTI is common in few patients for a variable periods after the procedure.

Symptoms of UTI:
1. Burning micturition (passing urine)
2. Increased frequency
3. Urgency
The 2 & 3 symptom could also be to BPH

As UTI can spread upwards it can also affect prostate causing prostatitis thereby make you feel worsening of your prostate problem.

In order to diagnose your condition, I suggest you the following:
1. Urine routine and culture & sensitivity
2. Ultrasound of Abdomen and Pelvis - To assess the prostate size and the residual volume of urine

Based on the results of the above tests:
1. For UTI - it can be treated with antibiotics.
2. If USG shows prostate to be to of such a size as to cause retention of urine to a larger degree you will advised to undergo a surgical procedure called TURP - Trans-Urethral Resection of Prostate. In this procedure they remove the prostate part that is causing the retention. No urine retention no UTI.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Frequent urination, burning, urinary urgency, pressure, stone in bladder, lithotripsy, prostate meds 21 minutes later
Allright. I understand your answer for the most part, but I also didn't mention that this problem of burning usually lasts for several hours, then either all of a sudden, I feel a sensation or some type of movement in this area, and the frequency and burning go away, and my urination returns to normal or if I lay down as if to go to sleep after a few hours, the frequency goes away, also the burning. I also passeed a pea sized stone last week and after that, the symptoms went away.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

This happens when a stone is passing through the urethra and gets stuck in its pathway. This irritates the urethra causing spasmodic contraction (causes severe pain and the sensation of movement) and once when the stone is passed in urine the contraction returns to normal thereby reducing the pain.

This occurs only when the stone is stuck in the urethra, so the treatment would be to prevent the stone formation.

In order to prevent stone formation drink plenty of water 3-4 liters per day. This will also flush out the small stones from the urinary tract before they become big and cause symptoms.

If you are satisfied with my reply and have no further questions kindly click on the accept button below.