Frequent urination, blood test showed type 2 diabetes, hands look shriveled, headache, cramping, leg pain. Any suggestions?

For the last few months I have to pee a lot, I wake up about four times a night to pee. I used to sleep through the night with no problem. This all started in one night and hasn't stopped. I took a blood test they said I was starting type 2 diabetes. But I'm peeing so much that my hands always look shriveled up and now I have constant headaches. And my body is cramping all over which is painful. Now I have a pain in my leg that hurts to the touch.I can hardly walk on it. I am really getting worried that Its not going to stop the headaches are worrying me.I'm trying to drink a lot of water to make up for the loss, but i don't have a thirst like they say you should with diabetes I just think there is more wrong with me. its not getting better! Any suggestions?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms can be explained by prediabetes or XXXXXXX diabetes. Prediabetes is when fasting Blood Sugar levels is between 100 to 125 mg/dL and diabetes have fasting blood sugars more than 126 mg/d.

What you have been experiencing off late is called “Polyuria” where in you pass urine more frequently especially during the nights, even if your water intake is normal. This happens due to excess glucose circulating in your blood leading to "Glucose-induced osmotic diuresis". You need not necessarily experience increased thirst due to this phenomenon, but generally patients do complain about being excessively thirsty. Do remember that all diabetic patients need not experience all symptoms of diabetes.

Fatigue is one the symptoms of increased Blood sugars. This may be the predisposing factor for constant headache. However other causes such as increased blood pressure, stress and worries, etc., needs to be ruled out by your treating Doctor. Further during the starting phase of diabetes, there can be increased insulin secretion in the blood stream to control blood sugar level. This hyperinsulinemia status can cause electrolyte imbalance (potassium deficiency) which might be the reasons for your muscle cramps. If the muscular pain is severe and troubling, I encourage you to consult your primary care physician to rule out electrolyte imbalance by detailed examination and tests.

You may need to consult an Endocrinologist who after careful examination and relevant tests including Glycated Hemoglobin (HbA1C) will be able to confirm diabetes. Necessary anti diabetic treatment is entailed.

In the meantime, you could follow these lifestyle modifications to keep your Blood sugars under control:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid alcohol and smoking, if you do.
3.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
4.) Avoid fast foods.
5.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily, this should include brisk walking. This will keep the blood sugars under control.
6.) Get yout HbA1C tested atleast 4 times a year, to know how well under control is your diabetes.
7.) Take good care of your teeth and feet as Diabetes may leave you prone to infections.
8.) Keep your Blood pressure and cholesterol under control, you can ask your doctor in detail regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Frequent urination, blood test showed type 2 diabetes, hands look shriveled, headache, cramping, leg pain. Any suggestions? 5 hours later
Thanks for your good information, it will help a lot. I do have a tooth that needs to be pulled it is pretty much decayed. It doesn't hurt, but once in awhile I feel like it hits a nerve when I eat. Is it possible that it might be contributing to my headaches in anyway?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, caries of teeth can be one of the causative factors for headache but as I said earlier, other causes for headache should also be ruled out. Not to worry, get an opinion from a dentist and if it is bothering you much, get it removed. Do remember to let your dentist know about your diabetic status so that necessary precautions could be taken for preventing infection before carrying out the procedure.

Once it is done, he/she may prescribe you antibiotics which you will have to take as directed without missing any dose. Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Follow the lifestyle modifications which I had mentioned in my previous answer.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.