Frequent urination, blood in urine, on birth control, UTI. Pregnant?

I have been urinating very frequently and urgently, recently. Today, my urine has been bloody. I am not supposed to be on my period for another week and I am on birth control. My boyfriend and I do not use condoms but I take my birth control regularly. Am I pregnant or do I have something like a urinary tract infection?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 42 minutes later

First its difficult to say whether the blood is in the urine or from the vagina without examination.You period can of course be early but only a urine test can determine if you have infection in the urinary tract.Frequent urination,burning etc is symptomatic of UTI.If you are bleeding from the vagina,then it could be a period.
Put in a pad and watch for a couple of hours.If you bleed without passing urine,you have your period.If not,you need to have a urine microscopy test to confirm infection.

See your doctor for the test.

Follow-up: Frequent urination, blood in urine, on birth control, UTI. Pregnant? 1 hour later
I am only bleeding when I urinate. The bleeding has stopped though. I haven't had a burning feeling, but I do have just pain and it's not only when I am using the bathroom. Does this mean I do have a urinary infection of some sort and need to go to my doctor? And with these symptoms, there is no possibility of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the bleeding is only in the urine then pregnancy isnt an issue.You need a ultrasound of the pelvis to rule out renal stones and a urine test.
Please see your doctor.It can be a UTI due to infection or stones.
Drink plenty of water.
You will need antibiotics if infection is present.