Frequent urination at night. Prescribed Solitral. Taking Dilzem for cardiac problems. Will medicine shrink prostate gland?

Urologist
Question
I am 70 yrs,my psa 1.8,prostrate size 3.9 x 4.4x4.5 ,four times urination at night.doctor prescribed SOLITRAL CAPSULES.i am on axe 10 H-40 AND DILZEM 90CD FOR CARDIAC PROBLEMS AND BP. I am not diabetic.
please advice:will this medicine help to shrink prostrate gland or is there any other medicine in the market to do the same job.Is there any side effect for solitral my email: YYYY@YYYY of prostrate cancer in future,if any.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 30 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Solitral is meant to reduce the frequency of urination and NOT to reduce prostate size.
Side effects may be dry mouth and constipation.
To reduce prostate size, medicines called FINASTERIDE or DUTASTERIDE needs to be given.
With the PSA of 1.8, the risk of cancer is low. If there is family history of prostate cancer, then the risk is more and you need PSA check every year from now.

Best regards
DR GS

Follow-up: Frequent urination at night. Prescribed Solitral. Taking Dilzem for cardiac problems. Will medicine shrink prostate gland? 10 minutes later
MY PSA LAST YEAR WAS 1.4,OBVIOUSLY INCREASING ABOUT 0.4 YEARLY.IS THERE ANY MEDICINE TO ARREST THIS INCREASE.IS IT CONNECTED TO ENLARGEMENT OF PROSTRATED GLAND.WHAT SHOULD BE MY BEST TREATMENT AT THIS STATE.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 14 hours later
Hi
The question is very relevant.
PSA increases with age and with the prostate size as well.
Finasteride/ Dutasteride to some extent can shrink the gland and will be helpful in your case.
best regards

Follow-up: Frequent urination at night. Prescribed Solitral. Taking Dilzem for cardiac problems. Will medicine shrink prostate gland? 2 hours later

Dear Doctor,
Thank you for answering my querries.I took SOLITRAL(Alfuzosin Hydrochloride 10mg/extended release)& Solifenacin Succinate 5mg/first time last night.
I experienced dry mouth at night and slight giddiness while doing stretching exercise in the morning.I am also taking AXETEN H-40 for BP at night.Is it normal reaction while using first time which will vanish due course of time.Or is there any more reason for this reaction.Solitral prescribed for one month.Can i assume that my frequent urination at night will vanish for ever with SOLITRAL taking one month or I have to take the same for a prolonged period.Thank you once again for your valuable advice.
Best regards.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Alfuzosin needs to be continued probably forever. The only way it can be stopped is by undergoing prostate removal surgery ( TURP).
Solifenacin can be stopped after 3 to 6 month course.
First dose giddiness is common with alfuzosin and should settle in a weeks time.
Best regards