Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination after groin hernia surgery. Is this common after surgery?

My neighbor and good friend ( for whom I am a caregiver) is 82 and had groin hernia surgery done 2 days ago to correct the hernia. For the last day and a half he has experienced uncontrolable urination and is very concerned. Is this common after such a surgery, will it stop, or does he need to seek further medical assistance?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 38 minutes later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry your friend is having problems. Uncontrollable urination is not a common or normal consequence of symptoms could be due to anything from a bladder infection (which can be readily diagnosed and easily treated) to a new medication he's taking (which could be addressed by stopping the medication) to an unexpected complication of his surgery (which might involve re-exploration). It would be very unusual for an inguinal hernia repair to cause urinary incontinence, since the nerves that control the bladder aren't in the surgical field.
If it hasn't already been done, I'd suggest a call to your friend's surgeon or simple urinalysis to rule out a bladder infection.
I hope that helps, and I hope things go well. I'll be available if you have additional questions.