Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination. Is there any problem with me?

I am 28 year old, not married - man, between every half to 1 hour I have to go to toilet for urinal, so I am wondering is there any problem with me or is it normal
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
There are many causes for increased frequency of urination like:
1. Urinary tract infection
2. Diabetes
3. Diuretics (Medications used to treat high blood pressure)
4. Interstitial cystitis
5. Neurological diseases (Damage to nerves that supply the bladder)
6. Other common causes like overactive bladder syndrome, artificial sweeteners, alcohol and caffeine.
7. Rarely Bladder cancer (An extremely unlikely cause in your case)

I would suggest that you consult your primary care physicians who can then prescribe the following investigations depending on the examination findings
1. Urinalysis and urine culture
2. Ultrasonography of the kidney-ureter-bladder region
3. Cystometry: This test measures the flow and pressure inside the bladder .
4. Neurological tests: Diagnostic tests such as urodynamics, imaging, EEG(electroencephalogram), and EMG(electromyography) .

Meanwhile you can try the following remedies:

1. Avoid foods that appear to irritate your bladder like caffeine, alcohol, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, and spicy foods.
2. If you have a burning sensation while urinating, increase the intake of water and take plenty of cranberry juice.
3. Kegels exercise-These exercises help strengthen the muscles which can help you voluntarily stop and restart the flow of urine. Toning these muscles can help improve bladder control and reduce urinary urgency and frequency. Squeeze the muscles (you’ll have to contract as if you’re holding on to the urge to urinate) for three seconds, then relax for three seconds. Repeat 10 to 15 times per session, and do this at least three times a day.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.