Frequent throat infections. Having irritation in throat, itching in ears, fever. Treatment options?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi I frequently get throat infections . it starts by irritation in throat then ear starts itching inside , followed by fever
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. You symptoms suggest that you have a component of allergy. Your ear itching may be a referred sensation due to throat infection / inflammation.

2. As more information can help a physician help a patient better, please answer the following questions:
a. Do you have any nasal symptoms preceding an attack of sore throat?
b. Do you get pain while swallowing?
c. Do you get sneezing along with the itching?

3. A throat and neck examination will help rule out chronic tonsillitis. A post nasal drip should also be ruled out. I would suggest you see your general physician for the same.

4. You should keep a track of the food and conditions such as sudden change in temperature which precipitate an attack and avoid these triggers.

5. You may use a medicated gargle such as Tantum regularly and an anti allergic such as Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once a day taken when your symptoms just begin will help control the severity of an attack.
Awaiting your reply.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Frequent throat infections. Having irritation in throat, itching in ears, fever. Treatment options? 56 minutes later
no

b. Do you get pain while swallowing?
no

i get multiple dry sneezing some times

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You do not seem to have chronic sinusitis or a post nasal drip.

2. Chronic pharyngitis may also be worsened by acid reflux. You should consider this possibility.

3. If there is high fever with the recurrent pharyngitis, I would recommend throat swabs for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

4. There is a lot of lymphoid tissue in the throat. You should get yourself examined to rule out any hypertrophy of this tissue surrounding the throat, which leads to the throat being more sensitive.

5. The ears are connected to the throat via the Eustachian Tube and hence throat infection may travel into the middle ear. This may be another cause for itching in the ears.

6. Avoid pungent, spicy or sour food, cold liquids, exposure to tobacco and alcohol. You may also take turmeric in warm milk at night before sleeping. Vitamin and mineral supplements may be taken to improve immunity.

7. At some point of time, with recurrent pharyngitis, I would recommend complete blood tests to rule out impaired immunity.

Regards.