Frequent severe backaches. Any specific reasons ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have got severe backache for the last 2 days. This is not the first time i am facing this issue this happens frequently. my height is 5.3 weight is 50
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your question.

Its unusual for a lady of your age to have repeated back aches, but not uncommon. The information which you have shared is not sufficient to reach a diagnosis. So I request you to kindly answer the following questions-
1. When or at what age did you first notice the pain.
2. Has the pain increased in intensity ever since?
3. Does the pain remain limited to back or does it radiate to your legs or thighs?
4. Can you localise the exact position of pain?
5. Do you feel tingling or numbness in any or both legs?
6. Are you working or a home maker? If working then state the nature of work (sitting hours, position on computer, need to lift heavy objects etc )

Till then I would suggest you take rest, avoid forward bending, lifting heavy objects. Take medications if your physician has already prescribed. Kindly post any previous investigations like X-ray or MRI in the section alloted. Avoid exercises if you are doing any.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Frequent severe backaches. Any specific reasons ? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
This pain has been for3-4 years now and the intensity always the same. The pain is right on the back not on the lower back. And i do feel numbness on my right leg always which makes me feel very uneasy all the time. The pain in my leg is a daily issue which becomes more intense every night. I work for BPO and my job involves sitting for approx 7-8 hours on the computer.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 6 hours later
Hello once again,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It was most helpful.

In my opinion, your back is affected by your long sitting hours with a possible incorrect posture on computers. The end result is you might have developed a disc problem in spine which affects your nerves (right side to begin with ) and causing numbness and weakness in right leg.

I would suggest you to visit your nearest Orthopaedician and rule out other causes.

Till then, take frequent stretch breaks at work, adjust your computer screen to level with neck, visit a Physiotherapist near you for a course of lumbar traction for a week, learn back strengthening exercises from them and begin those once the pain subsides. Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy objects. You may take anti-inflammatory medicines, your orthopaedician prescribes but keep its use minimal. If he asks you to take an X-ray or MRI ( Magnetic Resonant Imaging ), do so without further delay.

Wish you an early recovery.

Good luck.