Frequent migraines, vomiting, body pain. Treatment?

I am Avinash XXXXXXX from Bokaro steel city(Jharkhand).From last 8-9 past years i have been partly migrain problem.It comes periodically in the month of April to August but this year it comes in winter season in the month of October.Due to severe pain in my left side of head i do vomitting and completly feel weakness & tierdy.This whole bloody pain comes in 1 year & take 1 month to continue my normal life as usual.Please suggest me what should i do in this problem so that i feel ease and comfortable.
Thanking You!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     Total illness duration 8-9 year
•     Complain of migraine in april to august and in October

Migraine headache is chronic recurrent conditions. The symptoms are known to be trigerred by:
•     Extreme of temperature
•     Stress, hunger, and fatigue
•     Certain food items: person to person
•     Sleep deprivation
•     Sunlight

The important aspects of treatment are as follows

•     Abortive therapy: It is taken during acute attack of migraine only. Drug like paracetamol and diclofenece used. Take abortive medicine as soon as possible when you become aware of migraine attack. Strong coffee and tea also help in migraine in some person.
•     Preventive therapy: In this drugs are taken regularly. Usually indicated when migraine episode >2times per week, very severe migraine attacks and duration more than 24 hrs. Several drugs like calcium channel blocker, antiepileptic agents or antidepressants used for this purpose depending on case suitability and physician experience with medicine. You can take one of the aforementioned drugs under care of a competent neurophysician.

In addition to the above medications, non pharmacological means of treating migraine are :
•     Identification of triggers and prevention from triggers
•     Meditation
•     Relaxation training
•     Keep a migraine diary: indicating trigger, duration of migraine, treatment received and treatment response.

I understand that you suffer from severe pain during migraine attacks. But the treatment is going to be gradual. You should be able to control and prevent these migraine headaches once you follow the above said measures truthfully and sincerely.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.