Frequent itchy skin rashes. Taking L-Montas. Permanent cure?

My wife has skin allergy from last two months which causes red rashes and lot of itching. After taking L-Montas, the allergy goes off. Also, if she goes into some cooler areas, the allergy goes off slowly. But the allergy keeps coming in a day or two and then medicine has to be taken. Can you please let me know if it can be treated permanently.

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 29 minutes later

As mentioned by you, that your wife is suffering from allergy in which she gets itchy rash, we call this Urticaria.

Urticaria occurs due to release of histamine in the body as a result of reaction to any substance- inhaled, applied on body or ingested.

Medicines like L-Montas contain antihistamins and Monteleukast which stop the release of histamine and negates the itching and redness that under routine circumstances occur on coming in contact with the allergen.

An allergy can be treated only if the allergen is stopped from coming in contact with the body, else reaction will take place and urticaria will manifest.

If you can figure out the allergen which causes the urticaria good enough or else you can go for a food+inhaled particles allergen battery test which can give the list of possible allergens causing the urticaria.

Allergy occurs from a foreign particle or else due to infection like worm infestation, dental infections etc. A thorough history and investigation can control the allergy in most cases else one has to be kept on antihistaminic to keep symptoms at bay.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr.Rohit Batra