Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent infection in the foreskin. Using Candid B cream. Have diabetes. Abrasions on penis after intercourse

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi, I keep suffering repeatedly from foreskin infection. My wife and I have both used/using Candid-B cream and vaginal tablets respectively, but looks like one of us is not getting cured and is passing it on. I am a diabetic and my sugar levels are under control. I travel quite a bit, and when I have intercourse with her after a gap, I get abrasions on the foreskin which burn a lot during ejaculation. This is despite using lubrication.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 57 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
You have mentioned that you are diabetic. Unfortunately, infections of different types are common in diabetic individuals and they are difficult to treat as well.
If there is repeated infection and abrasion of foreskin inspite of antifungal ointment, it shows failure of medical management. You can speak to your physician about oral anti-fungal drugs like fluconazole as well.
As per my experience, change in the anti-fungal agent and all other forms of medical treatment generally give temporary relief and are not of great help. Hence, I suggest circumcision of foreskin to remove extra skin which prevents the repeated infection. This will help you find a permanent solution to the problem. It is a small procedure as and is not associated with any major complication.
I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Frequent infection in the foreskin. Using Candid B cream. Have diabetes. Abrasions on penis after intercourse 24 hours later
Thank you for your response. I will actively consider circumcision surgery.

In the meantime, can you please advise the oral medicine and dosage to cure the fungal infection. I presume that this needs to be taken by both me and my wife. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.
Oral anti-fungal drugs like fluconazole are prescription drugs. I would need to examine you before I can prescribe them for you. Please speak to your physician about these drugs.
I hope you understand.
I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. If no more queries, please close this discussion.

I wish you good health

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.