Frequent head spinning and vomiting. Feel better after vomiting. MRI normal. Had hearing loss. What is the cause?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
Frequent head spinning and vomiting. Sometimes feel better after toilet or vomiting. Recently had MRI but it showed as normal. Also visited to Ent specialist had 40% hearing loss in left ear but according to doctor it is not reason for head spinning and vomiting. Also i suffer from back pain. I am 32 year old.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Inner ear examination may be required. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Head spinning and vomiting can be due to involvement of the inner ear. The ear has three parts. The outer ear is the part which is seen externally. The hearing is controlled by the middle and inner ear. The inner ear is also associated with maintenance of balance also besides hearing. Any disease, infection, inflammation or any other problem in the inner ear can affect hearing as well as disorders of balance. This can cause spinning of head, vertigo, and vomiting. Consult your ENT specialist for clinical examination, relevant investigations and management. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Frequent head spinning and vomiting. Feel better after vomiting. MRI normal. Had hearing loss. What is the cause? 22 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor. But i am still confused as i already visited to ENT specialist and according to doctor this issue is not because of ear problem. Can you please suggest me some test to confirm this. What all possibilities can be there for head spinning and vomiting except the inner ear reason ? If in case this is because of inner ear issue then does it have any treatment and is it totally curable issue or not?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Inner ear problem is most common cause Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Inner ear problems are common and one of the causes of head spinning and vomiting. The investigations for inner ear are different from the usual tests done for hearing. These tests are done in different positions e.g. in sitting position, head bend on one side and then the other side, etc. However, you can consult a neurologist for clinical examination and other relevant investigations. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal