Frequent fever, throat pain, head pounding and headache. Need permanent solution

ENT Specialist
Question
Hey there! I'm staring to worry because its the third time in a month that i get sick with a little fever, my throat hurts, and my head pounds, especially when i get up (ex. If i had to pick something from the floor). The headache is what is really worrying me. I'm normally very healthy Thank G-d and this never happened to me so frequently before. I would really appreciate an opinion! Thank you very much!
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. That depends upon whether your frequent sore throats required medication or settled on their own. Sometimes sinusitis may be the cause. Get an ENT Specialsit to examine your throat and nose. Do you suffer from any allergy or acid reflux?

2. Get your blood pressure checked and a physician's opinion. It may be low or you may have orthostatic hypotension. That is why you may get headaches after getting up. Do you get a feeling like a black out or darkness in front of the eyes? Do you get headaches after exercise or exertion?

3. Rule out anemia (low hemoglobin). This is a common cause for repeated infections and pounding headaches. Rule out thyroid problems. Get your Thyroid Function Tests (TFT's) done. Get your blood sugar levels tested. Do you have a history of diabetes in your family?

4. Get a Neurologist's opinion on your headaches. An MRI Scan is usually advised in a patient of headache so as not to miss any major cause. I must emphasize that almost 99% of MRIs are normal.

5. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I must emphasize that the chances of discovering any major problem at your age are minimal.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Frequent fever, throat pain, head pounding and headache. Need permanent solution 47 hours later
Thank yoi for your reply;

1. My sore throats settled on their own, i just took sone painkillers but thats about it. I do not suffer from allergies or acid reflux.

2. I just feel my head pounding, nothing like a black out or darkness in front of my eyes. Usually i dobt get headaches after exsercising.

3. There is no history of diabetes in our family.

Thank you very much for our help!

P.s i am definetly feeling better by now and i did not take any medication. I will look into the other thing you mentioned. Also my sister told me she once had a problem with her Thyroid, is it genetic? What is the cause of it?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If your sore throats required minimal medication to settle down, then there is no cause for worry.

2. The simplest course of action will be to investigate further only if there are further headaches or recurrent sore throats. Chronic tonsillitis must be ruled out at your age.

3. Thyroid disease may be hereditary. In most cases, the cause is unknown. Do you know exactly what type of thyroid problem she had? Regular follow up and Thyroid Function Tests is all that is required for you at present.

Regards.