Frequent dizziness for a week, 31 yr old. Prescribed Vertin, asked to consult ENT. Should I worry ?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm facing dizziness for a week now which happens every few minutes. Its got worse in last two days and I'm not able to concentrate while working (on a computer) or driving. I met a spinal surgeon who said the symptoms are worrying at my age (31 years). He gave me Vertin 16 mg thrice daily and has referred me to an ENT specialist to rule out any infection in the middle ear.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Hi

Thanks for the query

Dizziness could be a symptom of various underlying medical problems.

The commonest causes of dizziness are:

1. Cervical spondylosis
2. Dehydration
3. Hypotension
4. Insomnia (lack of sleep)
5. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
6. Meneire’s disease
7. Cardiac related problems
8. Visual related problems, etc.

The symptoms you have mentioned are not enough to arrive at a diagnosis. If you can kindly elaborate the nature of your problem, it would be very helpful.

1. Do you feel spinning around sensation or dysbalance?
2. Any noise in the ears or reduction of hearing?
3. Nausea or vomiting following dizziness?
4. How is your visual acuity?
5. Is the dizziness associated with headache?
6. Does the dizziness worsen with the movements of the head?
7. Did you have any attack of fever in the recent days (within a week)?

If you can answer to my above questions I will be able to help you in a better way.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Frequent dizziness for a week, 31 yr old. Prescribed Vertin, asked to consult ENT. Should I worry ? 17 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX - Thanks for your response. Please see the answers to your questions in detail as felt by me.

The sensation is felt by the head and things seem like moving and i cant focus on things in front of me and lose a sense of direction. While walking or standing the felling is similar to dysbalance. Having said that it has not significantly hindered my ability to work or move or drive a car - though it has irritated me and reduced my confidence especially while driving

I havent felt any reduction of hearing or any sound from any of the ears. However, when I close both my ears i feel slight sound of air moving inside.

NONE AT ALL

4. How is your visual acuity?

Perfect except when I feel dizziness when things look blurred for few seconds.

No headache with dizziness - just a small sensation in the head (esp in the back above neck)

No significant difference. In other words I cant induce or increase dizziness by shaking my head also. There is no particular position in which I get this feeling. It comes even when I'm lying , sitting or standing/moving.

None

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back and answering all the requested questions.

After examining your answers, I feel it could be Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which requires Hallpike's maneuver to diagnose. Other ENT causes of your dizziness are ruled out.

BPPV is a condition characterized by brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness. Symptoms of BPPV are triggered by specific changes in the position of the head. It is thought to be caused by movement of tiny fragments of debris in the inner ear labyrinth. Many a times, the condition gets rectified without any specific treatment. This is diagnosed by a simple office procedure known as Hallpike's maneuver and rectified in the same sitting with Epley's procedure. This treatment uses gravity to move the debris away back from the semicircular canals to its original position.

My suggestion to you is to consult a good ENT specialist for the examination and treatment of the same.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon