Frequent cold, red eyes, runny nose and cough every week. Treatment and advise to get rid of this?

ENT Specialist
I frequently suffer from cold i.e even once a week. The cold will be very severe and i ll have red eyes, running nose and cough. Running nose means it is not cold just water and i need more than one kerchief.

I will not take any medicine but it will just go away the next day. This happens every week or atleast once in 12 to 15 days.

I will also suffer from this if i inhale coils smoke, cooking smokes etc and if i do not have a good sleep in a night the following day i will suffer with this cold.

I havent gone for any medical check ups for this and not under any medications.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks of the query

You are suffering from a condition of the nose called allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is one of the common nasal conditions characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. Recurrent attacks of sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion are the common features.

The triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. There is no cure for allergy, only the preventive measures when followed can rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks.

You can try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine). Occasionally, you might require a mast cell stabilizer (ketotifen), if the above treatment fails. Also, you need to do steam inhalation 2-3 times when there is nasal congestion and drink plenty of warm water to keep the nasal mucosa hydrated.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Frequent cold, red eyes, runny nose and cough every week. Treatment and advise to get rid of this? 16 hours later
Thank you so much doctor.

Other than the preventive measures you have mentioned, can it be brought under control through diet i.e by taking or avoiding certain fruits or vegetables in daily diet.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Yes, if the triggering factor is some sort of food material, by avoiding it you can definitely stay away from allergy.

But, you need to find out by yourself by exclusion, those food materials which can cause allergy and prevent it. Consuming certain food materials like plantain, eggs, fish, milk, etc triggers allergy in certain individuals; avoiding the above items are of prime importance.

Remember! Prevention is better than cure.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon