Frequent cold, cough, problem in ear. X-ray of ear done. Suggest treatment

ENT Specialist
my son is 4.5 years old and having frequent cold and cough problem, we have given Montair LC kid from May'12 to Dec'12 on suggestion of child specialist and is on Budecot Inhaler from May'12 till today.
But few days back we have consulted ENT specialist as he has ear problem. And on ENT specialist we have taken the X-ray and found following observation in X-Ray -
"1. There is suggestion of a soft issue mass in the region of the nasopharynx with indentation of the posterior air column.
2. the air passage measures 5.70mm in diameter.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 10 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query and after considering the observation of radiologist it is clear that enlarge adenoids are responsible for frequent cold and ear pain. Because eustachian tube (tubular connection between ear and throat) gets infected and obstructed by hypertrophied adenoids. These hypertrophied adenoids are also obstructing the air way and giving rise to recurrent cold.If adenoids are not treated properly they will develop these problems in your child-

(a) Mouth breathing.

(b) over crowding of teeth due to high arched palate.

(c) Recurrent bleeding from nose.

(d) Recurrent ear infections and pain in ear.

(e) Snoring

(f) COPD - in later stege if remain untreated for long time.

Considering all above I will advice you to consult an ENT specialist for thorough examination and if operation is adviced that may be done for cure .