Frequent choking in lungs due to phlegm, not responding to inhalers. Taking wysolone. Safe?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have frquent choking in lungs due to phlegm which does not respond to inhalers i have to take wysolone 10 to 20 mg for 3 days to feel better this is almost once or twice a month is it safe
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later
Hi Mr. XXXXXXX
As per your history, you seem to be suffering from hypertension with hypothyroidism with a history of asthma.
The choking that you are describing can arise due to the following causes:
a.     Secondary respiratory infection
b.     Associated bronchiectasis (due to Allergic bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis or ABPA). ABPA typically responds to steroids as seen in your case.
c.     CCF(Congestive cardiac failure)
I would suggest that you get yourself evaluated by a pulmonologist so that appropriate investigations can be done and appropriate therapy can be started. The following investigations would be needed in all probability in your case:
a.     Complete blood count
b.     Chest Xray
c.     Pulmonary function tests
d.     Electrocardiogram
e.     2D echocardiogram
f.     Computerised tomography scan (CT scan) of the thorax
g.     Sputum examination
Further, the therapy that you are receiving for asthma would need to be optimised as per your investigation reports.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Frequent choking in lungs due to phlegm, not responding to inhalers. Taking wysolone. Safe? 26 minutes later
Is mild dose of steroids once or twice a month XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, self medication with steroids is not recommended and is XXXXXXX considering its side effects and possibility of further steroid resistance.

You need to get a PFT (pulmonary function test) done and your treatment including the dose of steroids (if needed) needs to be tailored accordingly. If your treatment is optimised, then there won't be any need for rescue medications and your symptoms will be very well controlled.

Hence steroids in any dose without medical guidance is harmful and should not be used.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB