Frequent bowel movements during periods, black stools, painful cramps. Have irregular periods. Am I okay?

today is the first day on my period. and im been going to the bathroom alot. but it has been to do number 2. i notice that my poop is black and sometime its loose and hard with very painful cramps. I have Irregular period. just wanted if im okay and why this is happening?
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

There are two possibilities for you having blood in stool.

If you are sure about having black coloured stools then there is no need to worry as it could be due to gastritis or an duodenal ulcer.The blood oozed from above lesions would turn black due to digestive enzymes.The urgency for the stool now could just be mechanical either due to irritation by the ulcer or due to the uterine spasm as you have periods now.

Taking antacids like Tab PRILOSEC OTC one tab a day early in the morning before food for a period of 15 days would cure the problem.

If the stool is stained with fresh blood then it has to be considered seriously .The blood could be due to a fistula connecting the uterine cavity and the rectum or it could be a fissure in the anus.This has to be examined by your gynaecologist and a general surgeon.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.