Ask a Dentist   »  

Frequent boils on lips, itching on tongue, swollen cheeks and throat. Causes?

Question
i regularly have boils on my laps.
my tongue keeps scratching me and once i use my teeth to scratch it, my cheeks becomes swollen down to my throat area
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Regular boils means, your body resistance is poor.

You should get your blood sugar (F & PP) and TDLC/C.B.C. tests done and upload reports for further advice.

You should not lick your lips with your tongue, but apply antiseptic cream 3 to 4 times daily.

Initially, you may require a short course of antibiotics.

To identify infecting organism and effective drugs, you can get culture & sensitivity report of the discharge from boil.

As you will require prescription for antibiotic course, should consult skin specialist with reports.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Frequent boils on lips, itching on tongue, swollen cheeks and throat. Causes? 4 hours later
i fully understand the issue pertaining to the regular boil but the one of my tongue that keep scratching me is not clear at all. i usually use my teeth to scratch my tongue and anytime i do this my cheeks swells up even up to my throat. after sometime it comes down without using anything.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 3 hours later

Welcome again,

It can be a reaction to the fluid which comes out on scratching it with teeth.

It is not possible to diagnose boil on your tongue without examination or biopsy report of it.

You should not take it lightly. Please get it examined by an E.N.T. specialist.

If required he can take biopsy out of it for examination.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Frequent boils on lips, itching on tongue, swollen cheeks and throat. Causes? 15 hours later
ok will do that and revert to you.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 17 minutes later

Welcome again,

As this is E.N.T. related problem, you should take treatment as advised by him.

If you need further clarification, I will be glad to help.

With good wishes,