Frequent boils in inner right eyelid,legs in 7 year old.Treatment?

my son is 7 years old.he often gets boils in inner right eyelid. sometimes in his leg also.what is the treatment.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later

Boil or furuncle is a skin infection involving the entire hair follicle and the surrounding tissues. Damage to the hair follicle allows bacteria to enter deeper into the tissues of the follicle and the tissue underneath spreading the infection and forming pus. Most commonly seen in face, neck, armpit, buttocks, and thighs.

Some children are plagued by recurrent furuncles because of follicular abnormalities, climatic conditions, colonization by pathogenic strains, reinfection, debility, or immunodeficiency. A personal hygiene and necessary measure to contain the staph infection in the areas of their colony is essential.

The treatment should be as follows:
1) A prolonged course of antibiotics (broad spectrum) prescribed by the Pediatrician
2) To drain at pus point.
3) Never squeeze a boil or try to cut it open at home. This can spread the infection and make it worse.

Meanwhile you can follow the following measures to prevent further boils:
1) Use of Antibacterial soaps is recommended
2) Use Antiseptic (germ-killing) washes like Betadine
3) Thorough washing and not sharing other children things
4) Apply body powder all over the body to avoid stagnation of sweat and to prevent infection.

I also would advice to get serum IgA levels to know the immune status.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for the Follow ups.

Wish your son a good health.