Frequent acidity attacks at night, sleep disturbance. Remedy?

Since the last 3 month, I have been suffering from frequent attacks of acidity. The problem worsens at night, to the extent that i'm unable to sleep comfortably
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The problem of acidity more frequently at night can be decreased with some lifestyle modifications.
Avoid lying down immediately after dinner, rather lie down flat only after 2 hours. Till then you may lie at a recline at 45 degrees with head-end up. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep yourself well hydrated.
Gastric acidity is aggravated by spicy food, oily food, smoking, tobacco of any kind, alcohol, coffee, sliding hernia which is a condition where the upper part of stomach is pulled up in the chest.

You need to avoid the above mentioned factors at all costs. Also eat small portion meals at frequent intervals rather than large heavy meals.
Try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.
For symptomatic relief, you can take an antacid like tums before going to bed.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.