Frequent BM, nocturnal diarrhea, stomach cramps, bloating, possible exposure to salmonella food poisoning.

Hello. I am a 32 year old female who may have come in contact with salmonella food poisoning. My doc isn't being very proactive or concerned despite my symptoms. I literally have the urge to go to the bathroom (bowel movements) at least 20-30 times per day with even nocturnal diarrhea. The cramping is severe. I haven't slept in 2 nights because of it. This is my 4th day of having this very severe diarrhea. I have severe stomach cramps...I can't work (I also have children). I'm very tired, have a headache and just noticed what I think to be mucus in my last bm (which is every 20 minutes). However, now my stomach is very bloated and tender on the left side. I am also have nausea (without vomitting). I am debating whether or not to go in to ER as my doc said to take something over the counter - but this is unlike anything I've ever experienced. I literally feel horrible.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
You are undoubtedly having a severe diarrhea and the tiredness and headache you are feeling is an after effect of diarrhea due to fluid and electrolyte imbalance.
Bacterial gastroenteritis can be associated with passage of mucus and mild bleeding also in severe cases.
You need an immediate medical attention and intravenous antibiotics to control this infection.
I encourage you to attend the ER immediately for proper and timely treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.