Ask a Urologist   »  

Free PSA is 2.95. Suggested no biopsy. What to do?

General Surgeon
Hello, im a 46 year old man concerned. My free psa is 2.95 and percentage free psa is 13%. My current urologist is of the view that i dont need a biopsy.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXX! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.
I am not aware of the reason your PSA test is done. If it is a routine screening test, then your Urologist is right in saying that you do not need a prostate biopsy. You should go with his advice. Thanks and take care.
Follow-up: Free PSA is 2.95. Suggested no biopsy. What to do? 5 minutes later
My psa was 4.09 but reduced to 3.05 and last test result was 2.95. I am concern about the percentage total free psa and its implication
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I still will go with the opinion of your urologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good morning. It is nice to hear from you so soon. My regrets for the delay in responding because of the late hours of night in this part of the sub continent when your mail must have reached me.

Usually, in this region,we still rely on the serum PSA level and do not go for the ratio you have mentioned about. In the clinical practice, I have not faced any problem relying on the PSA level, which is very much in range in your case. Therefore, I still give full weight age to the opinion of your urologist that you do not need the biopsy, which anyways is an invasive procedure, even though a very minor one.

I hope this will help you deciding relieving your apprehension on the issue. Thanks and good luck.