Fractured upper limbs in an accident. Can tear in major artery and small nerves lead to death?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Sir,

I am XXXXXXX here, 3 months back my brother met with an accident with a 10 wheeler XXXXXXX . The accident had fractured both of his upper limbs and he was taken to BGS global hospital for treatment, there after the surgery they informed he died because of a cardiac arrest. Reason given was there was a artery tear in the limb and there was a fracture to the pelvic bone. The doctor informed that they have operated the big nerves to join them but there are many small nerves which have got teared. Is this lead to a death? He was taken to hospital at 12:15 PM but the doctor delayed to operate and took him to the operation theatre around 6 PM , Is this delay caused the death? Before the operation itself he had faced cardiac arrest twice. After the cardiac arrest they took him for CT scan and then decided to operate.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear about your brother.
Due to tear in major artery, there might be possibility of massive blood loss leads to hypovolumic shock which finally leads to cardiac arrest.
In pelvic bone fracture there is also massive blood loss which can lead to cardiac arrest and death.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Fractured upper limbs in an accident. Can tear in major artery and small nerves lead to death? 13 hours later
Thank you XXXXXXX for your reply.

I just wanted to know , if it was taken care early , I mean operated within an hour of accident was there a chance of hope?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Before operation patient should be stable for this. Without knowing the exact situation it is difficult say about it. There are many things to be considered before taking paint in Operation theater. So don't think that delaying in the operation was the cause of death. It had happen due to severity of the condition.

Once again sorry for your brother.

I pray to God to give you inner strength to overcome this difficult moment.

Follow-up: Fractured upper limbs in an accident. Can tear in major artery and small nerves lead to death? 3 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 minutes later
Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.