Fractured my spine. Having numbness in my lower limbs & feet. On insulin for diabetes. Any connection?

General Surgeon
I fractured my spine the fracture is in D11 & 12 this was 4 Months back after falling from Horse back i was adwised by my Doctor complete Bed rest ,initially after a month of rest i could Walk but there was severe pain in the back. Now after 1 & 1/2 Months ie after Total 2 & 1/2 months later i suddenly developed NUMBNESS in my Lower Limbs & Feet my Legs started Trembling & i was not able to stand up or walk . I am DIABETIC for last 15 years & on INSULIN when on asking by my Dr. i told him this he asked me to get NCV Test done which showed that there is problem related to by Diabetes.PLEASE DR.TELL ME IS THIS BECAUSE OF MY DIABETES OR B'Coz of Fracture- Thanks

Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

For sure this is not caused by diabetes. Diabetes can causes slow nerves and vessels degeneration and does not give such sudden symptoms. Moreover it affects small vessels and nerves and symptoms do appear at feet first. Diabetes gives lack of feeling touch or pain in the feet. You can perform simple test and check if you can feel the pain in your feet.

What you are suffering from is most likely spine disc herniation and can be related to the recent injury however it can be in other spine level.
I suggest you to visit orthopedist or neurosurgeon and have spine MRI performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Fractured my spine. Having numbness in my lower limbs & feet. On insulin for diabetes. Any connection? 25 minutes later
Well as you said that it cannot be B'Coz of Diabetese then this should have happened immediately after my injury why did this symptom developed all of a sudden after 2&1/2 months if at all. My Spinal MRI done 2 Months back I have shown to my Orthopaedic Dr. and also Latest CT Scan done 1 Week back if you want to see them along with NCV Report i can share with you if you let me know your e mail I'd - With Sincere Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Like I have mentioned before, it CAN be associated with the injury but it can be also in other spine level and not associated. Diabetes does not give sudden symptoms. There is no way it can do.
Spine is very complicated structure and fracture in one place disturbs all other levels of it. Do not know why it developed after 2 months of the injury, maybe you have lifted something?
What does CT report say? is there any narrowing or compression of the dural sac or spinal cord? Even small compression is capable of causing such symptoms. Moreover, CT can not be accurate if this is about spinal cord and MRI might be necessary.