Fractured medial malleolus on leg. An avulsion fracture caused by brute force. Given crepe bandage. What can be done?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i fractured my medial malleolus on right leg
its an avulsion fracture caused by brute force
its been exactly 12 days after the surgery wich they placed a screw in my ankle
ankle is in a plaster cast
they gave me a crepe bandage to tighten the cast when it looses and lately i noticed a change in my
ankle swelling pattern it swells if i elevate the leg on 3 pilows znd doesnt swell id i dont elevate it
its the exact opposite of the standard rule
i dont know why??
plz guide me
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have gone through all the images that were sent.

Its very unusual for the swelling in the ankle and foot to increase with the leg in elevation. The only possible reason I assume could be because of the compression of the veins at the level of back of the knee or back of the thigh by the cushions or pillows used to keep the leg in elevation. If the veins gets compressed, then the blood from the foot will not flow upwards resulting in swelling.

Anyway, its not a big matter of concern and I also suggest you to actively move your toes while your leg is in the cast as it aids in decreasing the swelling.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any further clarification.

Follow-up: Fractured medial malleolus on leg. An avulsion fracture caused by brute force. Given crepe bandage. What can be done? 29 minutes later
u are very much right doctor now i have placed my leg in a new position ive sent the pic and the swellling suddenly stopped sir
also one more question, can i hop around with the other leg instead of using the crutches and when can i return to normal life and will i be able to walk and run perfectly
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 8 hours later
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Yeah, thats a better position of keeping your leg in elevation (picture 0000) and don't forget to actively move your toes most of the times.

You may hop around but there is very chance that you may sustain a fall again. So I advice you to use a walking frame over crutches as it will have stability on the floor.

Your fracture (based on the xrays & single screw fixation) may take around 2-3 months to unite. I suggest you to take foods XXXXXXX in calcium (best is milk) and calcium supplementations daily to enhance the fracture healing.

Good luck