Fractured humerus and needed it plated and pinned. X-ray showed healing but still sore. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Fractured by left humerus 11 weeks ago and needed it plated and pinned. X rays show it is healing but it is still very sore
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Propably due to pin irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The soreness could be possibly due to the irritation of the soft tissues (muscles) by the K-wires (pins) that are inserted.

This is not a matter of concern and will settle down naturally.

The other possibility is infection which has to be ruled out by a direct physical examination and other blood parameters like Complete blood picture, C-reactive protein level estimation etc.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Fractured humerus and needed it plated and pinned. X-ray showed healing but still sore. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you.

Following up with my own doctor an ultrasound shows that the superior aspect of the metal plate impinges on the lateral or outer margin of the clavicle. This has restricted shoulder movement.

My doctor is referring me back to the surgeon asking for comment as to whether the hardware in my shoulder should be removed. is this just as serious an operation as fixture of the fracture. If I did not go ahead with the removal of the plate do I face any problems other than reduced movement of the shoulder
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Generally, Implants will not produce any problems.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

In general, the implants (plates & screws) will be removed around 1 year after the primary surgery in upper limbs (by which time the fracture might have regained full bone strength).

Yes, Implant removal procedure is similar to primary fixation surgery.

No, You will not have any problems with the implants (plate & screws), if they are left retained inside.

Hope I have justified your query.

Good day