Fractured fibula. Advised to wear non weight bearing boot. Waiting for MRI report. Is it safe to travel?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My wife and I have been planning a 3-week self driving tour for the past year of Israel, XXXXXXX and a final stop in Istanbul beginning on 4/12.

Unfortunately, i fractured my fibula yesterday morning, was X-rayed and was referred to an Orthopedic Specialist with the following diagnosis (fracture of the left fibula shaft--823.21) and (Sprain, Syndesmosis--845.03). I was giving a Non Weight Bearing boot to wear. Just had an MRI for the Sprain, Syndesmosis and am waiting to hear back from the Ortho. Probably no damgage to the ligaments...just wanted to be sure.

You can not imagine my disappointment about the thought of canceling our trip which would require a lot walking, etc.

I do have trip insurance.

Any thoughts or suggestions with regards to my ability to travel would be appreciated.Unfortunately, both the X-Rays and MRI results can not be opened with my Mac OS

Thanks
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

I would like to know whether you are on the tour or just planning.
For fracture shaft fibula and sprain you need immobilization for 4-5 weeks.So you have to continue non weight bearing boot for this period.
If you are planning tour,please plan it after 6 weeks at least.

If you can send your reports, I can help you in better ways.

Hope this will helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Fractured fibula. Advised to wear non weight bearing boot. Waiting for MRI report. Is it safe to travel? 2 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, we were already to leave next week for our 3-week trip. Based upon your email, we will cancel our trip for another time.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

It is sad to know that you have to cancel your trip.But it is essential for healing of your fracture and tissues so that later you can enjoy your trip in better way.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery once again...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.