Ask a Dentist   »  

Fractured and infected molar tooth after root canal treatment. Should I go for implant?

Hello Doctor, I have a problem in taking a decision. I have visited a dentist who is a orthodontist. My problem start with 2 root canal molar tooth which have been fractured aand infection has been built up due to various problems. I found out with a X-Ray which was suggested by the dentist.
Basically I had visited to consult to this dentist about going for lingual which costs 0000/- to align my teeth. But due to my problems with molar tooth’s I had to change my decision to go for a extraction of those treated tooth.
So, I got one molar tooth extracted, now after extraction I had been given an option of putting bridge or going for an implant. If I m going for bridge it will cost me 0000/- but I will have to sacrifice my healthy for support to fix the bridge which I m not planning to sacrifice.
Secondly, about implant the name termed as ‘ANKYLOS’ TREATMENT will be done but it would cost 0000/- or 0000/- based on the quality.
Doctor, I want to know if I have to go for lingual in future, then
1) Do I need to go for implant and why?
2) Is implant durable and benficial?
3) Why there is difference in implants which is costing 0000/- and 0000/-.
4) After extraction, can I go for lingual directly and shift my tooth to a molar position.
5) And if not what is the reason?

I am depending on your response, please help me in getting the right information as my concern is my budget as these all treatment would cost me 0000/- approx..
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 16 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

First of all XXXXXXX you did not mentioned why you need orthodontic treatment.

For dental implants,i will suggest you following things-
1.Implant is a better option because it provide more stable tooth support especially during speech and eating because implant placed in to the jaw bone surgically.

2.Implant gives you natural feel.

3.Cost of dental implants is because of-
a.first the cost of surgical procedure. cost of post.
c.last,the cost of crown.

4.Cost of different implants are-

a.Alpha bio dental implant-25,000INR per Implant.
b.Noble bio care-40,000INR per Implant.
c.Noble Guide-60,000INR per Jaw.
d.Noble Active-60,000INR per implant.
e.Screw based hybrid denture(fixed)-1,50,000 per Jaw.

5.After extraction,i will suggest you visit to your orthodontist and ask for the complete treatment plan.

Hope this answered your query,if you have further any doubt,feel free to ask.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Fractured and infected molar tooth after root canal treatment. Should I go for implant? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.
I had visited the orthodentist the first time and he had suggested to align my teeth due to which he gave me many options. I had planned for lingual treatment because my teeth is not aligned properly.

Now my question is I had already extracted my infected fracture tooth & I have decided to go for lingual as well as implant of my tooth.

So, my doctor suggest me to go for lingual first and then for implant. But I had heard that first implant should be done and then lingual should be done later.

Hence, please suggest me what needs to be done first and why?

Can you also provide me good details about lingual treatment in which I can decide the following:-
1)     Is the cost reasonable?
2)     What is the material used?
3)     Which size of lingual are attached to the teeth? (As there are various sizes)
4)     How much does it cost?
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 20 hours later

Thanks for wring again.

First of all, I would like to tell you that your orthodontist is right. You should go for implants after complete orthodontic treatment only. Because, during orthodontic treatment lots of teeth movement occur. One more thing as you said your teeth are not properly aligned, if it is because of lack of enough space for teeth in your jaw, you would have to go for extraction of few of your teeth. As your molars are already extracted, it is possible that you need not go for extraction of teeth in that jaw. So after complete orthodontic treatment only you should decide whether you need implants or not.

Now we will discuss your points-
1. Cost of orthodontic treatment is reasonable, because cost varies according to practitioners. Normally it ranges 60k-80k.
2. I will prefer ceramic braces.

Hope this answered your query,if you have further any doubt,i will be happy to help you.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta