Ask a Dentist   »  

Found white lump on cheek. Feeling pain on side of face, throat and chest. What is the disease called?

A week and half ago I found this white lump on my cheek in the back of my mouth. It seem ever sinceI had I been having problems. A couple of days after notice the white lump I started feeling pain in my left side of my face the same side the white lump is on I say about 3 or 4 days later my whole head started hurting my head. I started get this pressure like pain in my head like it wanted to explode. I woked up from a nap and felt this very bad intense burning pain in my throat everything I eat or drink hurts I feel pain from my throat down to my chest.I been to the dentist for the white lump they don't know what it is they saidvi need to see a oral surgeon and I been to the hospital and all they did was give me some pain medicine and did a ct on my head and found nothing. They didn't even do no blood work I really don't know what to do I feel like I am in so much pain and nothing is really getting done about it. And the white lump is not white any more it just a lump thats has the same color as the inside of my mouth does because I've been taking this antibotic that they gave me at the hospital but they still don't know what it is but think its an infection.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 55 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum,

As per your clinical history and photographs I suspect that lump in your case can be due to;

-Dental issues affecting the teeth and gums often lead to cheek swelling, teeth can
become abscessed, a pus filled cavity can come out from the gum or bone at the
base of the tooth leading to pain and swelling in all nearby tissues including cheek.

-Wisdom tooth that come in crooked or crowd other teeth or became impacted
or when infected may also lead to enlarged, distended cheeks.

- Other than this it can be due to trauma from cheek biting or allergic reactions
If a person is exposed to allergen, particularly if it comes in contact with the face
the cheek may swell in response.

I would suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon get the check up done, OPG radiograph may help in confirming the underlying cause.

A detailed clinical and radiological evaluation is needed to confirm the cause and plan appropriate treatment.

Headache, burning of the throat is due to dental origin.
I would suggest that:
-You consult the dentist to get a prescription for pain-killers
-Take tab rantac twice a day before meals, if you are having acidity or chest pain.
-Take lukewarm saline gargles to give a soothing effect.
-Take antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine, gargles twice a day to prevent superinfection.

Hope this answers your query,
In case of other doubts, feel free to ask!

Take care!
Dr Qazi Ammara.