Found white bumps on pubic area. How to get rid of them?

Mar 2013
Hi, I've recently checked my genital area and found white bumps at the root of my public hair follicles, on the outer labia. They don't hurt at all. How can I get rid of them?
Oh, I also haven't been sexually active for a while and I don't have STDs.
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later

There are some conditions which can lead to the picture that you have described.

One, of course, and the closest to your condition, is clogged pores at the base of the hair follicles in the labia. It occurs due to the moisture inherently present in the area. Specially since these are not painful or itchy, they require no specific treatment. Just having a warm bath, and immersing yourself in hot water, should take care of the whitish substance. Also these would not be very obvious, but only when you stretch the skin, you would see slight bumpiness.

Other commonly confused conditions are folliculitis and sebaceous glands. However, they would not be present on all the hair follicles, and moreover, would be painful.

To be absolutely sure, please consult a gynecologist, who would look at them and be more sure of the diagnosis.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.