Found traces of blood in sputum. Performed bronchoscope and removed small areas. What is causing this?

I have, over the past 4 to 5 months, found traces of blood in sputum coughed up in an effort to clear my throat in the early morning after waking ( amounts approximately the size of a split pea) . I have reported this to my family doctor who in turn sent me to a nose and throat specialist who checked for my sinuses and throat for signs of blood and found nothing. From there I visited a lung specialist who after an examination scheduled a CAT SCAN , the result of which was his performing a bronchoscope 4 days ago. Evidently there was some small areas that showed on the cat scan that he wanted to see. During the bronchoscope he removed one of these areas with suction and another that he has sent for a biopsy. His comment was that in his experience what he found was unlikely to be cancer. My question then is what, in your opinion, might be causing these small spots of blood in my sputum ? I have had a blood test in conjunction with these procedures which show no signs of TB or other respiratory diseases.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have cough with hemoptysis since the past 4 to 5 months. Also you are a diagnosed hypertensive on oral medications for the same.

2. The cause of hemoptysis seems to be in the lower airways. Isolated localised changes on CT Thorax are less likely to be malignant. However the report of the Bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and the biopsy need to be seen.

3. In absence of malignancy the changes could be of bronchitis or other lower smoke in the past or present?

5. A course of antibiotics with management for hemoptysis is required. Also do get your dental checkup done for any local cause of bleeding.

6. If the exact CT thorax picture is known then, I can comment more specifically on the possible diagnosis.

7. Vaccination with flu and pneumococcal vaccines is recommended for you considering your age.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Replied by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra