Found to have Haemophilus Influenzae, prescribed Augmentin and lungs are not clear. Suggest?

I am on a remote assignment for three months and just before leaving was tested and found to have Haemophilus Influenzae. I first grew ill after contracting a severe cold while on assignment is Afghanistan. This country is FULL of infectous respiratory diseases.

I was prescribed Augmentin at 875mg twice daily, and now after 2 weeks the drug has run out and I can feel the lung s are not clear. omg. What to do? There are no testing facilities where I am (a 3rd world sandbox. Just going to town requires an armored column) but access to drugs is easy. What to do? Waiting until relief is not an option.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...No need for any antibiotics now,as you have already taken enough.

Detailed answer...
There is no need for any antibiotic anymore as you have already taken enough. Heavyness in chest could be due to residual inflammation and may be some bronchoconstriction.

If possible please get yourself examined by a doctor to look for congestion. You might need a bronchodilator if clinical examination reveals congestion.
If you are unable to get to the doctor, I suggest that you-
- Take hot liquids and hot soups.
- Avoid cold drinks.
- Try deep steam inhalation.

In addition practice slow breathing exercise. It can make you feel better.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Found to have Haemophilus Influenzae, prescribed Augmentin and lungs are not clear. Suggest? 6 hours later
Some information I didn't think to add in my initial report. I first had a bad cold in 2008, and after I felt better suffered asthmatic symptoms that I was told after a chest x-ray was the onset of asthma. I have been taking Singulair every day since 2008, then noticed the condition worsening which prompted me to ask for more lab tests in 2013, which was the first time I was told I had Haemophilus Influenzae in my lungs.

Are you saying that there is NO CHANCE that my prescription could have failed to kill all of the bacteria, and that the wheezing I feel is actually the damage done to my lungs over the past 5 years?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
A course of two weeks with a broad spectrum antibiotic is more than enough to kill bacteria in most cases.
Your congestion definitely seems to be due to the asthma element present in you.