Found suffering from diverticula after colonoscopy. Suggestions

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Yes, I have been having some issues in my lower left groin/abdomen are for a few months -- since December 2012. Initially I thought there was a hernia but was ruled out with Ultrasound and CT Scan. I had a Colonoscopy also and there were diverticula found otherwise normal - see attachments.

The issue is on my left side. I can sometimes feel what I was told was my intestines along the top to lower left near my hip bone down to the bottom of my lower abdomen in the pelvic region when the ultrasound was conducted. Throughout the day and in the mornings especially its like I can feel my bowel forming and it eventually feels like a thick rope that I can move side to side when pressing on it.

The thing is, this has never been the case before so I'm not sure what it is. It feels like I have a constant dull swelling sensation in that area with tingling along my left side and left abdomen.

I had taken Cipro (500mg) 2x a day for 10 days in December 2012. Could this have interrupted my digestive system some how. I have been having this issue since after exercising and leaning on my left side for a few hours. When I got up I felt a pain in my left groin area and that's when I started noticing the feel of my intestines.

Initially it just felt like I over tensed my side and pulled/strained a muscle. So there was a period where I was pressing in that area as well to try and ease the pain. The pain eventually went away but now I just have the muscle cramping issue. It size of the rope like muscle that I feel now used to be considerably larger but it has gotten a little bit better over time but its still there.

The doctor mentioned that my iliacus/iliopsoas and Trans Versus Abdominal muscles were tighten against my intestines. And said it may be because I am relatively thin and may have lost fat in that area which is why I can feel it now, but I have been this size most of my life.

Is it possible for this muscle group to cramp and tense up of and on for this long of a period of time -- since December 2012. Is it possible to irritate nerves in this area that is just taking a long time to heal? Is it normal for me to be able to feel my intestines or is it just the muscle surrounding the intestines. After I have a bowel movement the muscles tense up even more and it gets hard like a rope.

From my statement above, do you have any possible diagnosis or suggestions? I also have my Colonoscopy results posted as well as ultrasound images.

I know this is a lot but I wanted to give as much information as possible.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the reports attached.
The intermittent tenseness and relaxation of the muscles on the lower left side of abdomen is likely to be related to an injury in the area or a mild lumbar spine. The mild spasms can be relieved with a combination of mild pain killers and muscle relaxants. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will also provide relief. You can also add methylcobalamin supplements to your diet.
This is likely to subside gradually over time. Since your investigation reports are almost normal, there is no need to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Found suffering from diverticula after colonoscopy. Suggestions 48 hours later
Thank you for the valuable information Dr. Tayal.

I followed you recommendations and purchased supplements and used a heat pad.

I will continue to monitor my symptoms and keep you informed of any ongoing issues.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
I hope you will gradually feel better over next 2 weeks.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards