Found sudden increase in thyroid level. Any advice?

Question

My thyroid level suddenly increased to 138+ in 4 months. 4 months back my level was 10. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 34 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

At first, I am assuming this is your thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) level. Is this correct?

If so, this level is indeed high, and will require immediate management with medication. The response will be slow and gradual, but it should get your TSH levels back to the normal range within 20-30 days.

Before this, we need to make a concrete diagnosis. The possible conditions here are:
-Hypothyroidism
-Thyroid disorder (functional, hyper-function or tumors)
-Autoimmune disorders

Please visit your doctor for an elaborate investigation, diagnosis and accordingly management of your condition at the earliest.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Found sudden increase in thyroid level. Any advice? 1 hour later
Currently I am taking thyroxine 100 1 per day in empty stomach in morning. Is that sufficient?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello once again.

Although Levothyroxine is considered the best to treat your condition, thyroxine is also used to treat similar conditions.

A dosage of 100 mg is usually prescribed in such cases, but clearly, as your TSH levels are very high right now, you will have to XXXXXXX your doctor at the earliest and go about an increase int he dosage. This will have to be carefully supervised by your doctor.

Along with this you could also discuss the introduction of certain food or supplements which will help in the absorption of thyroxine such as: calcium supplements, iron supplements, aluminium hydroxide and cholestyramine.

I request you to kindly XXXXXXX your doctor at the earliest and discuss all these details.

I hope you found my response informative and helpful. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Best wishes.

Follow-up: Found sudden increase in thyroid level. Any advice? 57 minutes later
Already I have met the doctor and she only prescribed thyroxine 100 and some iron supplements.
I just want to know is it possible to cure in few months?
Also do I need to follow any sensible eating plan (include or avoid any food)
.
Because, I got married few months back and due to thyroid, I am not getting conceive. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello once again.

Do not worry, if the dose is adequate (it will be monitored by your doctor, and if you are responding well to this particular drug), then you should reach a normal or close to normal level within 20-40 days. Do not worry about this.

In the meantime, continue with the iron medication.

No special dietary modifications to be made, you could eat food that is XXXXXXX in calcium and iron. This should enhance the effect of the medication.

Do not worry at all. All should be fine in a few days time, and you should also be able to successfully conceive by then. I wish you luck and a real speedy recovery.

Best wishes.