Found soft tissue growth inside vagina. What should I do to remove this?

Question
Hi! I'm middle aged and have just started my monthly but putting my tampax inside was a little more difficult. I noticed that it seemed firm below my opening and after examination I discovered a lump inside my vagina. I'm guessing it's about the size of a large coin - roundish and is able to be pushed upwards but then moves back down. It feels like soft tissue but is definitely a largish lump that I've never experienced before. What do you think it is and what should I do about it?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

According to your clinical presentation, there is two possibilities.

These includes
1) Bartholin Cyst (most common)
2) Soft tissue tumor/ growth

Bartholin cyst- it is located inside the vagina on posterior half of the lower labia majora and occurs due to occlusion of the bartholin duct by trauma/ infection. It is typically one sided & painless. Sometimes it is painful if it gets infected.

Small bartholin cyst needs no treatment usually. But if cyst is large enough (that you describe like size of coin), you may need to get it drained out by your doctor. Marsupialisation is the surgical procedure of choice for treating bartholin cyst. In addition, if it causes local discomfort and dyspareunia (painful coitus), then a warm bath or a heat pad can give some temporary relief.

In exclusion of bartholin cyst, soft tissue tumor/ growth should be ruled out by relevant investigations and confirmed by histopathological examination of the soft tissue.

Proper treatment depends on pin point diagnosis of the underlying causative factors. Therefore, I like to suggest you to consult with your gynecologist for careful pelvic/ vaginal examination with or without speculum.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any further questions, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

Wish your good health and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen