Found small hard lump on scalp. Skin moves freely over it and doesn't bleed or hurt. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi there

I have recently found a small hard lump on my scalp. The skin moves freely over it but I cant see anything when I look at it or get someone to look a it. There is definitely something there though im a bit worried it coud be XXXXXXX I cant get to a dr till next week but feel sick with worry. what could this be? it doesnt bleed or hurt its just there not sure how long its XXXXXXX there for.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I have read your query with diligence. The most common scalp swellings are sebaceous cyst and do not cause any harm. These can be easily treated.

If it is bony hard, it can be a small osteoma or a benign bony swelling. The osteomas are benign in nature & do not spread or give harm unless they compress a structure.

As this swelling is situated over scalp so I will advice you get it checked by your orthopedic doctor or a neurosurgeon. Your doctor may prescribe you a MRI or CT scan of your skull. At early stage it can be easily cured by surgical excision.

This is not an emergency, so do not worry about that.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Found small hard lump on scalp. Skin moves freely over it and doesn't bleed or hurt. What could it be? 2 hours later

Thanks for your answer as this is so small (smaller than a pea) if it is somthing more serious is it possible that it would be at an early stage or does thay not matter? It doesnt really feel bony hard feels more softer like a blemish type feel but do know that it is not one of those as i or anyone that looks can not see anything itnjust looksnlike skin. I will be seeing a doctor next week I just wanted some peace of mind.

Thank you.
Hello again,

This may seem odd but I put a bit of pressure on tje lump an sort of massaged it an it seems to have gone away. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 16 hours later

Application of mild massage may create some surrounding swelling ,which may give a pseudo feeling of disappearance of swelling.I will advice you to consult to your doctor & get it checked.

Hope this helps.