Found small bumps on scalp. Suggest some medicated shampoo

I am a 45 years old lady.I have recently been having some small bumps on the scalp.What could it be due to ?Can you please prescribe a medicated shampoo available in india for the same.Thanks
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

These tiny bumps on the scalp can possibly be due to seborrheic dermatitis or folliculitis. Also lice infestation may lead to similar problems.

In seborrheic dermatitis there are complaints of itching, greasy dandruff and tiny bumps over scalp. It is at times found to be associated with hypothyroidism. To treat the same a ketoconazole and tar based shampoo can be used every alternate days.

If it is folliculitis, those tiny bumps are usually tender to touch or might develop pus points as well. For the same, you will require an antibacterial scalp wash.

I would be in a better position to answer you further, if you can elaborate about your scalp bumps that is whether they are itchy, tender, associated with dandruff, if you have an oily scalp or if there is a history of lice infestation in a young member of family.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Found small bumps on scalp. Suggest some medicated shampoo 2 hours later
Hi Dr. Kalpana

Thanks for replying to my query.In regard to the information sought by you, i would like to say that these bumps,4-5 in number on whole of scalp are dry ,bit itchy,hard and recently developed within a month.I have a dry skin and hair is also dry.Neither me nor any family member is having lice problem.One of the tiny bumps is situated near the hairline behind the ear and yesterday it was bit itchy so when i sratched it ,it was leaving layer of dry skin.

I have been shampooing and conditioning my hair twice a week but have not got my hair examined for dandruff as i never had any problem earlier.

Waiting to hear from you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 minutes later
Thanks for providing me with the valuable information. As there is no history of lice infestation and these are not tender so probability of folliculitis and lice infestation is completely ruled out.
I would like to rule out other few probabilities in your case, these are-
Seborrheic dermatitis
Psoriasis(presents itself as red elevated itchy scaly lesions)
Lichen planus(presents itself as itchy, scaly reddish purple elevated lesion )
All these can involve scalp alone or might involve other body areas.

If you can upload a photograph of concerned area, it would help me more to arrive at definite diagnosis.

Also to treat either of the above conditions, you can use a ketoconazole and tar based shampoo ( like konaz CT) every alternate day and also apply a steroid salicylic acid combination lotion ( bariderm s or steriderm s)over the bumps in night.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more queries, I would be happy to answer.