Found redness on areola, no pain or itching. Used antibacterial and anti-fungal cream. Any suggestion?

I am a 59-year-old female. I found a very small reddish area around the edge of the areola on my left breast about a week ago. I have put antibacterial cream on it a few times (thinking it might be an infected hair follicle or maybe even an infected XXXXXXX gland) and yesterday tried putting an antifungal on it thinking it might be fungal in nature. It's too early to tell if that is helping, of course. It does not burn or itch, and there are no lumpy areas or "orange peel" look to my breast. Just this small red blotch. There appears to be a very tiny little "pimple" inside the blotch.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query. Gone through the pictures.

At this age you will lose the natural sebum production on the areola. XXXXXXX gland is a modified sebaceous gland. Sebum has a lot of antibacterial properties and could defend the germs on the skin. So your skin especially around the nipple tend to give way to lot of germs and they can grow well. The reaction is in the form of these pimples. Since it does not burn or itch you should not worry too much. You can just continue with the same antibacterial cream for one more week. Wear cotton clothes.

If this worsens you can get it examined by a primary physician in the local area.
Follow-up: Found redness on areola, no pain or itching. Used antibacterial and anti-fungal cream. Any suggestion? 4 hours later
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later
Pleasure to be of timely help to you. If you do not have further inquiry please close our discussion here.