Found raised sore on ankle. What could it be?

General Surgeon
About 9 months ago I found a round sore spot a little smaller than a dime just above my ankle. It was red, sore, and raised for a couple of weeks, then it started to darken in color (purple) and no longer hurt. At the time, I thought it might be a spider bite, or an ingrown hair or a boil. But, it never got any bigger, didn't become an open sore, and never appeared to have any puss. Now after nine months the spot is still there and is a purple/brown color, still round, doesn't seem any bigger or smaller, is no longer raised, but the tissue below the skin feels hard to the touch.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Most likely this spot is a mole. Some moles can start with pain and redness. As now it does not grow anymore, this is most likely benign lesion, however if it bothers you, the best way is to remove it and send for histopatology. This will tell either it is something you should worry about or not. I suggest you to visit dermatologist or surgeon.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.