Found painless lump on upper part of concha. How to remove this?

ENT Specialist
Question
2 weeks ago I discovered a 4x4mm lump under the skin on the area at the side where the top part of the antihelix folds over to the upper part of the concha.
You cannot see it with the naked eye you can only feel it therefore I do not know how long it has been there. This is not an area you would normally feel. It is circular.
It feels very firm on first touching it but I can push the area down and flatten it if I press quite hard. It is painless.
I went to the doctor and she shone a torch on it and could not see anything. I suppose I have frightened myself using the Internet and now am not sure why she thinks it's ok especially as she did not feel it?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. From your description it seems to be a Pseudocyst of the Auricle / Pinna or a chondrodermatitis.

2. These are benign conditions usually seen in adults males. Sometimes there is a history of minor repetitive trauma to the external ear, such as with rubbing, pulling, sleeping on hard pillows, wearing helmets, tight earphones and so on.

3. The treatment is drainage with a pressure dressing, usually with a flexible drain kept for a few weeks. Any aspirated fluid may be sent for examination.

4. There is no cause for worry.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Found painless lump on upper part of concha. How to remove this? 8 hours later
I have googled this and it does not look like this. You cannot see any change in the area it is so small. It feels the size of a spot under the skin and it very firm I thought it was cartilage at first until I realised if I pushed on it with a lot of pressure I can push into it. I suppose I am worried I have some cancerous tumour growing under the skin.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If it is a firm, compressible swelling, it is most likely to be a cyst. Some more possibilities are a seroma or epidermal cyst.

2. The only was to ascertain the exact tissue is to get a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) done. This may be difficult as the swelling is not seen, is very small and felt only on palpation.

3. There is no important structure there and hence there is no cause for worry. Cancers of the Pinna are extremely rare.

Regards.