Found painless lump on abdomen. Could it be hernia?

I am a 49 year old female. I discovered a lump in my abdomen about 4 above my navel, slightly to the right. When I push on it, it make a "squish" sensation. There is no pain. Is this typical of a hernia or some other sort of mass?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 36 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. That could be a hernia as you said. Some women have such a hernia in parallel with the abdominal muscle that connects pubis to sternum in the mid line. It is good that go to the doctor for examination. Usually if the diameter is more than 2 centimeter, he may decide to repair it. In some cases, it is preferred to do nothing. A good way to prevent such hernias is to strengthen the muscle of the abdomen are by regular exercise. Pregnancy is one of the risk factors for their formation since it cause dilatation of the abdomen area. Let me know if you have any other question.