Found painful lump on buttock. What could be this and required treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
36 year old female. Found lump on outer right upper buttock cheek near hip. It is subcutaneous with no visible signs. It is not extremely deep. It is painful to touch and is approximately the size of a golf ball. I am seen by physician at least annually with no history of any medical issues.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for posting your query

Well, without clinical examination of swelling, it is difficult to diagnose but the possibilities that should be considered include-

Sebaceous cyst: which can occur due to blockage of the duct of sebaceous gland on the skin of buttock. When it get infected it can form abscess.
Bursitis: Inflammation of bursal tissue. A bursa is a thin sac of tissue that contain fluid to lubricate the area to reduce the friction.
Lipoma: Collection of fat tissue forming a lump under skin.
Infection of subcutaneous tissue, muscle etc of buttock can manifest as lump under the skin.

So I suggest you to consult a doctor nearby for physical examination of swelling so that appropriate treatment can be started.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you good health

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Follow-up: Found painful lump on buttock. What could be this and required treatment? 5 minutes later
Do you think there is any cause for serious concern?

Thanks for writting again

It doesn't seems to be serious. If it is due to bursitis, you need some rest from excessive physical activities. Take some antiinflammatory like ibuprofen to reduce the pain and inflammation.
If it is Lipoma, it can be removed through excision.
If sebaceous cyct or subcutaneous tissue got infectd and form an abscess, it might need drainage and antibiotic course.

So do not worry to much. Get it evaluted so that appropriate action can be taken.

Hope this Will helps you.If you have any more query, I will happy to answer.
Do accept my answer if you have no further query.

Best wishes

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon