Found painful cyst on labia after shaving. Is it common to contract a UTI from sebaceous cyst?

I shaved my pubic area and within a day or two experienced what I believe were two sebaceous cysts on my labia (red, hard enclosed sacs). Both became inflamed and painful. After a couple of baths in epson salts, they both drained a white, pus-like substance. It has been a couple of days since they drained and both have completely healed (labia has returned to normal appearance with no signs of cysts). However, I know feel like I have a bloating, pain in urethra, pressure, urgent urination. I took a home UTI test, which tested positive for white blood cells, but negative for nitrates. Is it common to contract a UTI following the burst of a sebaceous cyst?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

Yes one can get UTI with vaginitis or vulvitis with infected cysts as genitourinary system is closely associated.

You should wash the area with vaginal wash containing lactobacilli.

Drink cranberry juice or urinary alkalizer

As you are having pus cells or white blood cells you should take a course of antibiotic like nitrofurantoin or norfloxacin under doctor's prescription.

Antispasmodic is also required like flavospas or urispas.

Get your blood sugar F done

Keep the area dry , do not use any shower gels or perfumed gels or deoodorants

Always wipe from front to back

Taking all these precautions along with a course of probiotics will prevent recurrent infections.

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome