Found painful bumps on face. Concerned for swollen lymph node

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I just found some small bumps on my face in front of my ear that are painful when touching them. I think its my preauricular lymph nodes on the left side of my face. I am not sick at all and have never experienced this type of situation on my face. Any insight would be great. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
The painful bumps in the front of your ear can be swollen lymph nodes or infected glands like sebaceous glands.
In both the cases, oral antibiotics are needed to take care of the infection. An infection in the external ear canal needs to be ruled out after a proper examination.
Till then you can have a mild pain killer and do a hot compress on the area as this will help in controlling the infection by increasing the local blood circulation.
It is not necessary to have generalized symptoms of infection with this localized infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.