Found movable lump near belly button. Suggested for surgery after CT scan. Should I go for biopsy?

Hi. My wife is 28 years old and in great health. While at the dr for a normal check up, they found a movable lump near the right side of her belly button. The did a ct scan with XXXXXXX The ct scan reviled as all egg sized mass object that is oval in shape and smooth per the surgeon. He feels it is benign based on imaging. They set surgery for 3weeks to have removed. They also ask to have it biopsy to rule out any type of cancer. I'm guessing this is a normal thing to do before surgery so there are not any surprises in the OR.

She does not feel sick or have any system of being sick. Jut has this lump that moves from near her mid section all the way down to belly button. Any ideas would be great.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The lymphatic drainage of the umbilical area is rather wide – from axilla to groins!
Any lesion in the vicinity should be investigated thoroughly.
You are in good hands and the approach is scientific.

A benign mass is smooth and has clear borders. [Otherwise, it is irregular, fixed and not of geometric shape)

A biopsy is a must for any swelling or ulcer - if it can be removed fully, all the better - it is called excision biopsy

Absence of symptom is no proof of absence of disease

Surgery and removal is the only sure way...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck